Pages

Tuesday 16 February 2016

Actress Oliva Munn Discovered Hypnosis

Another 'Celebrity used hypnosis to get in shape' headline that caught my eye. Maybe it really does help...

OLIVIA MUNN HAS BEEN VERY OPEN ABOUT GOING TO A HYPNOTIST FOR OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER (OCD) ISSUES. THE ACTRESS RECENTLY REVEALED THAT THE HYPNOTHERAPY SESSIONS LED HER TO FIND A WAY TO GET INTO SHAPE TO GET INTO THE SUPERHEROINE PSYLOCKE’S OUTFIT IN THE UPCOMING “X-MEN: APOCALYPSE.”

When Munn was 26 years old, she developed trichotillomania, an OCD disorder that affects about 1-3 % of the U.S. population. Trichotillomania is commonly known as compulsive hair-pulling. The condition gave Munn a compulsion to yank at her eyelashes.

In November 2014, Munn told Self magazine she sought out a therapist who specialized in hypnosis treatments.

Trichotillomania and OCD are clinically different disorders but often share symptoms.

“OCD comes from a place of needing to feel safe,” Munn told Self. “I had it growing up, having had a little bit of a tumultuous upbringing, moving around a lot with a mixed family with five kids.”

Munn was interviewed for the August issue of Good Housekeeping. The 35-year-old actress spoke openly about seeing a hypnotist to help her deal with OCD issues.

“With my anxiety, if I’m not in the mood to go out to dinner, I can’t. I almost feel paralyzed,” Olivia Munn told the magazine.

At one point her condition got so bad, the only comfort she could find was with her dog.

“I was having a tough time earlier this year; one day I broke down on the floor, crying,” Olivia revealed. “Chance came up and snuggled with me. He’s so smart, so kind … he’s got my heart.”

Munn said a traumatic travel scare further changed her for life.

“About four years ago, I was almost in a plane crash,” Munn said. “Everybody on the plane thought we were going to die … even the flight attendants were crying and screaming. It made me question everything.”

Olivia Munn first turned to the spirit medium Theresa Caputo, who she met on a talk show.

While dealing with mental health issues, Munn’s hypnotherapist also inspired her to work on her physical health.

“[My hypnotist] said, ‘You have to [work out]! It’s good for your anxiety and depression,” Munn told Good Housekeeping. “So during one of our sessions, he hypnotized me. I’m not exaggerating: That was on a Friday, and by Monday I was working out every day at 6 a.m. … Now I feel so much stronger.”

Read the full article

No comments: