Pages

Thursday 17 December 2015

Kickboxing Mum Credits Debut Victory to Hypnosis

Mother of three Summer Reedy stormed to victory on her kickboxing debut.

Organised by Yeovil Fight Academy's Giles Richards and held at Club Neo, the hypnotherapist beat opponent Helen Ivey in the first round with a knockout blow after only 39 seconds.

Reedy's triumph is all the more impressive considering she trained from scratch in just 12 weeks.

"I had taken a course in self defence at Yeovil Fight Academy but I was surprised when Giles Richards suggested I train for a fight," she said.

"I love competing and enjoyed watching boxing and Mixed Martial Arts, but never in my life had I been in a fight. I love new challenges so I said yes."

Reedy had to learn the martial art K1, a form of kickboxing which permits blows to the legs and the head. No helmets are worn but she had no apprehension about fighting; her main preoccupation being mastering a complex sport and dealing with her own reactions to being punched and kicked.

"I was worried about how much I could take before I fell down and how I would react during the fight," Reedy said.

"In training I got blows to the stomach, a black eye and a bloody nose - but I had to take it in order to learn. Failure is the way to the techniques of success."

Reedy credits her victory to the hypnotherapy she uses with her clients. "After training, I would come home and practice self-hypnosis, putting myself into a relaxed state of heightened awareness," she said.

"Some might think of it as meditation or mindfulness, or even as prayer. In that state, I would visualise my trainer Giles doing the combination of moves I had learned that day, then visualise myself doing the same - a bit like a tennis player imagining themselves doing Roger Federer's serve.

"Then I would practice imagery, performing that combination in my head, feeling every muscle do what it was supposed to. I think this is what helped me improve so fast."

Self-hypnosis also played an important part in Reedy's preparation on the day itself. As well as anticipating her opponent's fight plan, controlling nerves was a vital part of her strategy.

Read full article: http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/Kickboxing-mum-Summy-Reedy-credits-self-hypnosis/story-28141384-detail/story.html#ixzz3spw8Q5dX

No comments: