When we are stressed out, we need to feel that our home is a safe haven where we can find relief and comfort. A happy relationship can make all the difference during challenging times. Sadly, more and more couples are experiencing the divisive influence of outside stress in their relationship with their mate.
Are there steps we can take to protect the happiness of our relationship during trying times? When the pressure rises, is there some way for couples to actually draw closer rather than allowing their relationship to be torn apart?
Handled correctly, challenging experiences can actually bring couples closer together. This is not to say that they will be immune to the stress. What it means is that working together and facing their challenges as a unified partnership can deepen their bond and add new depth to their relationship.
1. Avoid making negative assumptions.
2. Don’t be critical or assign blame.
3. Acknowledge your partner’s concerns.
4. Respond rather than react.
5. Honor each other’s feelings.
6. Identify the real source of the stress.
7. Treat your mate with respect.
8. Seek opportunities to encourage each other.
9. Differentiate between the relationship and the problem.
10. Reaffirm your partnership often.
11. Get help if you need it.